willie_pelissier

I hate blue

Willie Pelissier
7 år siden

How can I make this look colorful and fun? I hate blue. I don't have a budget to re side it. The worst part is those two pieces of siding that are darker than the rest. I also don't like the tan bricks.

(79) kommentarer

• abbyjean
    7 år siden

Hey, Willie! I found you over here, too.

You are an artist and you need to stop for a moment and look at that first pic you posted. Look at your blue house with that blue sky in the background. LOVE THAT! The white in the sky is also in your home and it just looks magical together. The home looks in wonderful shape, which is totally in your favor, too, and to be honest? I did NOT see the two different colored pieces of siding until you pointed it out. The darker color almost goes with the shingles and could easily look planned. The brick on the front goes so nicely with the front step.

I say.....get moved in and get settled with your stuff and then see how the spirit moves you. Do not make too many changes all at once. Tough on everyone to have that happen. Moving is your first adjustment....along with dealing with all the memories and feeling safe in life again.

Willie Pelissier thanked abbyjean
  • baileysr
    7 år siden
    A blue house with brick like yours, trimmed in white with a deep red door is awesome looking.
    Willie Pelissier thanked baileysr
  • Relaterede diskussioner

Hvordan laver man hyggebelysning?

Q

Kommentarer (20)
    Spændende indlæg. Hyggebelysning er meget individuelt som mange af Jer nævner. Rigtig fine lamper fra @Marinov Design i øvrigt, og som du så rigtigt nævner har det meget med farvetemperaturen at gøre, det synes vi i hvert fald også. En traditionel glødepære bliver mere gul i lyset efterhånden som man dæmper den, og ender til sidst i et skær meget nær stearinlys = hygge. En traditionel LED chip som dæmpes holder samme farvetemperatur. Derfor er det som mange af Jer rigtigt smart at have en LED lyskilde hvor man kan skifte farvetemperaturen på. Jeg glæder mig til hvad fremtiden bringer på dette punkt. Jeg kan huske hvordan jeg i min fagprøve forsøgte at introducere LED GU10 som pærer ikke lyste særligt meget, men til gengæld var helt blå i lyset:) Ved ikke om der er nogle af Jer der kan huske de her: Kobber giver et rigtigt godt hyggeskær også, så indersiden af skærmen har jo ganske rigtigt også meget at sige mht. den farve temperatur som bliver reflekteret ud i rummet. Vi har også lamper hvor indersiden er belagt med 18 karats guld for at komme med en rigtig lækker farvetemperatur.. Det gør dog også noget ved prisen at bruge guld som materiale:)
    ...Se flere

Keramikkande i indflyttergave?

Q

Kommentarer (3)
    Kan godt lide den, men synes virkelig det er mange penge for en mælkekande! Hvis dem du skal til indflytningfest hos er vilde med dyre, lækre ting kan jeg dog sagtens forstå dit valg - men hvis de ikke kender mærket kunne de måske også blive lidt skuffede over at du kommer med en lille mælkekander... Hvilke ting har de ellers i hjemmet? Er de meget design og stilorienterede?
    ...Se flere

Hvide gulve og vægge - hvilken sofa?

Q

Kommentarer (3)
    Jeg har selv "hvidt gulv" i stuen (teknisk set er det gråt, men synes hvidt), og her er mine generelle tips: Mal en væg: synes du de hvide vægge er for kliniske, kan du jo bryde det lidt med en væg i anden farve som her: Træmøbler giver varme til rummet: En af grundene til at jeg valgte at male mit gulv var at træmøbler tager sig meget bedre ud på et lyst gulv, de ikke bare går i ét med: Planter og naturmaterialer: Planter er nok mit tip nr. 1 tip til at varme et rum op. Derudover ser ting som kork, hør og kurveflet også super godt ud med hvide gulve (det gør beton, kobber og andre metaller for den sags skyld også): Tæpper: Personlighed og farver!: Hvide gulve sætter dine ting i fokus. Hvis dine ting emmer af personlighed og farver vil det derfor hurtigt smitte af på resten af rummet: Mht. til sofa ville jeg nok personligt vælge alt andet end hvid - du kan se nogle eksempler i billederne ovenfor. Jeg kan smadder godt lide den grønne sofa eller den brune læder, men en grå sofa kunne måske være et mere simpelt valg. Selv har jeg en grå palle-sofa med puder i lidt forskellige farver.
    ...Se flere

Vægfarve til soveværelse - hvilken en ville i vælge?

Q

Kommentarer (8)
    Vi har haft den blommefarvede (Bombai Night) (som tonen korrekt hedder - ikke lilla) i vores soveværelse i flere år. Elsker den. Selvom rummet er lille, har vi malet 3 vægge i farven, da der er 2 vinduer i rummet. Sidste væg er hvid, sengen er bygget ind mellem 2 klædeskabe med hvide forhæng og 3 topskab med indbygget dæmpbart lys. i klædeskabet er der lavet en udtrækshylde der gør det ud for on/off-sengebord. Vi har valgt hvidt og en ren mørkegrå som kontrast på sengetæppe, puder og interiør. Gulvtæppet er også gråt. SÅ lækkert, roligt og hotelagtigt rum. Nu flytter vi og har denne gang valgt en dyb let støvet denimblå i soveværelset
    ...Se flere
  • marieanth
    7 år siden
    Paint your brick: white, or cream. Use this same white or cream color on your trim.
    Paint your siding. Ben Moore makes a paint specifically designed to go over siding.
    Finally, a coordinating door and landscaping will create curb appeal beyond your wildest dreams!
    Scope out a palette that you love!!!
    Willie Pelissier thanked marieanth
  • User
    7 år siden
    Willie, I just want to say, I love your house in any color! Actually, I must say I like the blue, but I like the original even better. I think a red door would be fabulous, no matter what color the house siding. (Although that white and yellow house is pure sunshine!) I also grew up in a similar home and many homes back then had either red doors or black doors.

I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time. It's so hard to lose parents and grands. My best to you on this life change and move.
    Willie Pelissier thanked User
  • PRO
    Dream Homes Inc./Daydream Incorporated
    7 år siden

How about Benjamin Moore Montgomery White (which is really more of a pale yellow) painted over the siding, and since you said "fun" might I suggest a deep red or green front door? (i.e. BM 2174-10 toasted chestnut or HC-135 lafayette green)

Willie Pelissier thanked Dream Homes Inc./Daydream Incorporated
  • User
    7 år siden

One of the things you may also want to consider is the landscaping. It's mature and settled. You could start it over as a way of giving the home a new start as yours.

Gardening is also very healing and therapeutic. You can plant something and watch it grow and bloom or falter and then bloom. Watching plants go through their seasons is restful, hopeful, and good for the soul.

It's great to dig in the dirt, get your hands dirty and feel tired after being outside. And you get fresh air to clear the cobwebs. You can smile, cry, reminisce, get angry, or whatever you feel, and at the end of the day, or week, or month, you will have a new picture of things to look forward to, and memories to look back on.

Many people exchange plants at garden clubs, Craigslist and so on. Offer to trade the shrubs for free if someone comes to dig them out themselves. Ask around for people dividing perennials in their garden and ask if you can have them in exchange for trading shrubs, too, perhaps.

Just thought I'd through that out there. :-)

• everdebz
    7 år siden

I luv luvourhome's thoughtful comments .... great idea .... I was glad for an older garden lady who shared plants with me, some easy ones too: rhubarb, hosta, sedum, etc.... also tossing this out....

Willie Pelissier thanked everdebz
  • baileysr
    7 år siden
    If you can, you might want to dig up some plantings from your old home, and they'll give you a piece of family history and keep you in touch with your past. We did that with some iris bulbs, and as they propagated they brought us plenty of joy.
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

... sometimes it's the little things / those pretty little flowers!

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I am getting the chills with these great comments! abbyjean you are a artist in your words. I really like these thoughts and ideas. If I am not able to paint the siding, I will continue to remember these words. They were helpful today. As for the landscaping- it will be hard to take anything out as both my grandmother and uncle both had a green thumb and planted everything there. In fact, I used to help my uncle garden when I was little. I won't want to take anything out, but I do plan on adding. I want to take all of my parents plantings. Every year my mom's daffodils and hyacinths come up, and it feels like she is still here. Through the year, all of her flowers come up, making me feel happy. I hope I can transfer all of the bulbs. I don't have a green thumb. I am going to attempt, anyway, in good faith it will work. I know I want to add. Since I am not able to brig the trees with me I bought my parents for their anniversaries and birthdays, as they are too rooted, I do plan on planting trees on their birth dates and death dates. That house HAD a big, beautiful blue spruce in front of it, but to had to be taken down, which was sad, because it was HUGE. The house I currently live in also has a big blue spruce, but it is on its way out, too. I definitely want to plant two evergreens in the front- one for my mom, an done for my dad, because they loved evergreens, and well, so do I. That house needs noise resistance, because the street is a main busy street, and I don't want to hear every car that drives by. I am thinking about holly trees, so I get the red in there, and the birds have food for the winter. I am crazy about the eco system, and planting things with purpose- for the butterflies, bees, birds, especially hummingbirds, I know I need some of the tube flowers for them. I love how everyone started commenting about gardening. This is great, bringing some thoughts alive.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Hello again - I've been in love with daffodils since youth. Aside from that, I've been in houses shaded too much by trees / seeming dark and drab.... please reconsider planting huge anything in the front ? There are windows etc.. probably for noise control.....

• User
    7 år siden

Hi Willie,

Glad to help out. Bulbs are great and easy to start with. You can Google planting them, but try to get them in before the first frost in your area. They need to sleep in the cold ground before spring.

How about taking cuttings of the trees? You can research that as well. It is also fairly straight-forward. You can grow them in pots inside and then when they are matured (6" at least is good), you can plant them outside. Take more cuttings than you would like to increase your chances of success. You can label your cuttings with popsicle sticks--type of tree and the date you took the cutting.

A lot of cuttings will start to root quickly in a glass of water. Once there is a nice 1" or so of roots, dip in rooting powder and then add to your soil. To make it easier, you can take some of the soil from your current place.

:-)

• daneejela
    7 år siden

Have you maybe heard of Moroccan style? It is very colorful, and very often it has a lot of blue in it. Somehow they can make blue feel hot like it's red :)

So, maybe it is a good place to start search for an inspiration.

Since you said that you love colors, I will suggest some things that neutral lovers would probably find too eccentric.

So, here we go :)

1.) Ideas for brick part of the front:

- Since your house is in blue, maybe you can paint bricks into stronger blue, like this:

- or make a bluish art on it, like this:

- or maybe paint it into few shades of blue, like a mosaic

Then you can paint door in orange/yellow/red and you will get very colorful entrance.

2.) Ideas for the stairs:

- depending on the rest of the changes, you can paint your stairs:

- or you can cover it with a mosaic (that can even climb into the brick wall):

3.) Add colorful front yard decoration

4.) Add seasonal door decoration, for example:

5.) Put colorful planters on the entrance

or make a unique planters from old stuff:

6.) Paint your porch handrail

etc.

There are many ideas that you will get into down the road...you see this house at the moment as an old people's house...moment when you start to look at it as your home, you will find many way to show yourself through it.

Willie Pelissier thanked daneejela
  • Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

everdebz - Yay! M e too with the daffodils. I hope to do a birth flower garden. I am a very sensitive person, especially with noises. I currently live on a peaceful block. Having cars wizzing by are going to distract me too much. When I was house hunting, before I knew I was going to this house- all of the houses I chose had trees and foliage in front, where no one knew there was a house. I find that peaceful. I don't think I can have a forest in front of this house, but I will like to look out the window or go out he door, and see trees, and not a street, and I don't want to see cars or hear them. When that house had the blue spruce in front, walking out the door, you just saw the blue spruce, and on the other side was a beautiful full white birch tree. You hardly knew you were on a busy street, and there was plenty of light. luvourhome Well, this gives me a lot of hope! I am certainly going to do this. The back yard needs trees. There is one tree I hope this works with. I don't even know what the tree is called, but it is a nice full evergreen tree in the back I will love to take. If I can take cuttings of this, I will be so happy. That will solve a lot of privacy issues. of course, it will probably take years, but I love the tree. daneejela - These are crazy! I love them! The stairs are so cool! I want to do all of this. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to do it all. I don't see the house as old people's - I just see it as my uncle's /grandparent's house. Then again, the house I live in I consider my parent's. I know what you mean. I am afraid of feeling home sick or something. I have never been on a vacation, but I have stayed over night a few places in life- always wanting to come back home. I hope this house will be home.

• mramsey
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Such a heart full story, thanks for trusting strangers with your vulnerability. You have had lots of great advice above and I just wanted to add one small piece. I too love the seclusion and privacy of a front garden and the sound muffling aspect of plantings. Have you considered a small berm curving around the street side of the property? When planted with a succession of bulbs, shrubs, small trees etc it is amazing how much of a visual barrier even a 2-3 ft mound can make.

We have done this on 2 properties, one was about 2 ft high and then topped by a rustic cedar "snake rail" fence and planted with drought tolerant, deer proof native plants The other is designed as a traffic noise and privacy option a Hugelkulture (just google for more info) about 4 ft high and planted with bee friendly plants, some of which grow to 6 or more feet high. It is a haven for the bees, butterflies, birds and lots of garter snakes. Both were quite different but worked well for the purpose they were intended.

Here's a picture of the bee mound.

Willie Pelissier thanked mramsey
  • User
    7 år siden

Some evergreen trees may have left little seedlings if they have been there for awhile. It's worth checking around the base of the trees and on the land. You never know what you will find.

A local plant nursery will be able to tell you what the "ufo" is lol. Just take a sample in. They could also help you with cutting/rooting info.

When my Mom had her stroke, one of the gifts she received was a plant basket one Christmas. It had a bunch of plants in a wicker basket and this one little evergreen decked up in Christmas decorations. I saved it. (It was 8" high). Everyone thought it was futile or crazy, but I just said, "It's a baby tree, duh. It will grow, wait and see."

Well, my beloved Mom died in June, but her little tree is almost 6, and is almost 6' tall :-) It's now even more precious, and all the extended family thought it was the sweetest thing when they learned its history. (And all the nay-sayers now know better than to question or doubt me, lol).

Willie? Follow your heart with the plants. I'm guessing that things work out beautifully for them, and you.

You can always journal your thoughts, or dabble with music, songs, poetry, making things, working with wood, etc., too.

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

mramsey - Yeah, I kind of tend to be too honest with things, and I don't mean to say too much. I actually have not said a word on Facebook. where I post everything. This is something very sensitive and I almost feel like it's no one's business. I also don't want anyone who knows my family to twist things where I mean well. It's hard, because I want to explode and say everything, but I learned a few lessons on sharing too much on Facebook. I don't even know if it is "safe" here on Houzz, but the sort of anonymity is something I need now for some form of an outlet. There is someone in real life who all ready blabbed it to the neighbors and others when I asked for privacy to be respected. If I feel like the time is right, I might mention something on Facebook, but I am not ready for that at the moment. The col thing of what you posted is I was actually looking for privacy answers for the back yard, and I actually know about berms and Hugelkulture! I am excited, because I found it last month, and here you are mentioning it without knowing what I was looking for. I never thought to do something like this in the front yard. There are hedges in the front, that are not seen in the picture, and I wonder if this can work with them. I love a layered landscape. It looks mysterious. There used to be houses in the neighborhood that had "forests" in front of the house. In fact, this one house, I never saw. It had the most beautiful trees, bushes and flowers in front. You never knew what the house even looked like, but you knew there was a house there. I always admired that property, until one day it was sold. ALL of the trees, bushes and flowers were hacked away. It looked barren, and the mystery was gone. The house looked like it came out of a fairy tale, but then, before it was sold, it was remodeled, and became "just a house". I still feel bored when I pass it now. A lot of the "mysterious" houses are gone now. Where I live, it was originally very wooded,and many yards were woods, but it's pretty much disappeared in the last 40 years. I love privacy, nature, and I hope to have this. luvourhome what a touching story! I am glad that tiny tree has become life. You know something, my mom loved getting small plants and trees to see how grand and marvelous they will grow. Some of the evergreens we have were these itty bitty trees, now taller than me. I bought her a Chinese Maple for Mother' day 13 years ago, since she loves small things that grow...it is still "getting there" since it's such a slow grower. I really hate leaving that behind, but it's planted in the front, I can always drive by and wave to it. I can always take a cutting. It's funny you say I can journal- I do, and I do make songs, poetry, and other things. Every day is a celebration :-)

• everdebz
    7 år siden

You have said things I wonder about.... and many of us have revealed private details with strangers met in public / on a plane, etc...side yard too, for mystery.... :)

• suezbell
    7 år siden

The house actually looks good as is, including with the two dark blue stripes.

Rather than changing the color of the siding, consider creating other focal points for the exterior -- and not just with a red door. You could add treated posts with hanging brackets from the yard and add flower pots or other art and/or you could add pressed metal/wire art to the yard or exterior walls of your home.

IF you're artistically inclined and able to invest in some scrap sheet metal (and/or use empty aluminum cans) and some shears for cutting metal along with screws and/or industrial glue and/or JB Weld and cans of spray paint that will adhere to metal along with some old wire clothes hangers then create some metal wall décor -- both interior and exterior -- and you may find you have a new hobby as well as a new income source.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/12/34/8c/12348ce782b40898203b11156977fdbd.jpg

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/e1112c7d0fba4580_4-9815/contemporary-outdoor-decor.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a8/58/a2/a858a270e21f085ca249aedba564f162.jpg

http://www.roboticsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Flowers-modern-cheap-outdoor-wall-art-colorful-interior-most-popular-products-models-contemporary-hanging-plastic.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/53/82/ab/5382ab7ef07e92486b20660d11ea02df.jpg

http://www.internationalassociationofwomensculptors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/sailing-boats-metall-decoration-sculptures.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F0Qj8QLsL.jpg

https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/38e/c6d/774/0bd3a3251ff7d381d2ef6b8/x354-q80.jpg

http://www.roboticsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/hoveringiridescent-hummingbird-metal-wall-art-wings-sips-nectar-golden-allamanda-blossom-alejandro-conveys-splendid.jpg

Have fun.

Willie Pelissier thanked suezbell
  • Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Well, I hope those things I said weren't too much - uh oh - well I know I tend to do that - I wasn't even expecting to get any responses, so I have been overwhelmed with joy from the turn out, and when I am joyous, I tend to share more. I don't even get many likes and little to no comments on Facebook, so this was refreshing LOL. Speaking of side yards, I loved the side yards Houzz features in this week's email. I don't think this house has one. One side is a driveway, and the other side are the steps. Looks like no side yard fun for me. That actually brings another question for everyone- Okay- so where I live now, the side door is next to the driveway. I can easily carry all of the groceries into the kitchen and put them away. This house, in the picture- the one I am moving to- The driveway is on the one side of the house, but the side door is on the other side of the house! What in the world were these construction workers thinking? It's going to be a nightmare food shopping. I all ready asked if somehow a door can be put on the other side of the house, or in back of the house next to the driveway, but no is the answer I got. It's sure not going to be fun this winter getting all the groceries in the house. It takes me an hour now, it's probably going to be a project when I am there LOL.

• User
    7 år siden
    Willie - I had never started a thread before on Houzz. When I recently did I, too, got more responses than I thought I would. It does make you feel good!

I like hearing people's stories, especially the home and heartwarming ones involving family. You seem genuinely nice - I think that's why you got a great response.
  • beingsimone
    7 år siden

Paint the two darker pieces of siding to match the rest of the blue.

Paint the bricks on either side of door white.

Paint the front door yellow. This will make it "fun" (you've used that word a few times!), brighten up the house and draw the eye to the door, taking the focus away from the blue.

If you are allowed to take out some of the bigger, heavier front bushes, plant lots of bright and colourful flowering shrubs instead. If you can't, trim them back as much as you can - they are too heavy looking. Put some large colourful pots on each side of door (on landing) filled with colourful plants.

Get a lovely front door mat that is colourful. Something that makes you happy and you smile every time you see it. Even quirky :)

Enjoy your new home!

Willie Pelissier thanked beingsimone
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

Well I don't really doubt them when they say it - but why not? - is there a chimney? a bunch of brick? ....... I can see why the door should've been by driveway.....

• nmp19
    7 år siden
    Dear Friend,

You are going through a lot. You have told us a lot and we have responded (hopefully with compassion . You are grieving the loss of family and the loss of your own home. Take some time to treasure your new HOME. Your parents(grandparents) chose the blue (they must have loved it). They chose the brick facade (they must have liked it). Now it's true that we don't always have the same taste as our parents but give their choices a chance. Move in-make this home YOUR home. Remember the wonderful times that you shared with your family in this house. Try to move past your grief. Maybe once you move in-take it slow with exterior changes. Landscaping this fall would be a good place to start. Plant new shrubs and flowers. My entire yard is filled with flowers. I took very few plants from my mother's yard and my aunt's yard when they died. Now, I have an abundance of flowers from those few plants. Choose plants that your mother and grandmother especially loved. DON'T try to recreate the past or what was when the house was first built. But certainly use its original history for inspiration. You mentioned that you will feel safe in this home. Next step, FEEL HAPPY in this home. Bless you and good luck.
    Willie Pelissier thanked nmp19
  • Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! I went over today, because some rugs need to be ripped up, and what a big surprise!!!!!!! I was not expecting this. (Can you believe I thought - wow I have to get a picture to show Houzz). My aunt and sister are in charge, and they had a few modifications done, and I was also shocked to see that landscaping had been done, as well. When I went to get the key from my aunt, because the door was locked, I thanked her so much, (and I noticed she had the same stuff on the peaks of her house). She said there is still a lot to be done, and she wants to make sure I have a good home to move into. She doesn't want me painting the exterior. Her husband was a roofing/siding company, and "you don't paint siding". I can do other modifications like gardening, or change the door color, but no paint on the house. I can do anything as long as it has curb appeal, which I agree. When I got back to the house, my sister was there checking everything, and she wants to put all new windows in, have all the floors sanded and sealed, and well, there is a long good list, just to make sure everything is up to date and up to code. It may take a few months, but I am patient. I am so overwhelmed right now, with gratitude. Now to thank new comments here: suezbell I LOVE all these ideas! I have wondered how these things are made. I see them in the store and think how expensive, but if I can make things like this, I can have whatever I want. I think these will be on the list of other things to do! avignon Thank you :-) I am glad I can share what I can. beingsimone - It looks like it's colorful plants for me! I am sure a nice colorful welcome mat will be added! everdebz Thee is a chimney - I don't know what it looks like on the outside, which is funny, because I seem to notice everything. It does start from the basement next to the furnace - full of cinder block. I asked if the back window next to the driveway can be converted to a door, but they don't want to oversee that project. nmp19 What a kind reply! Thank you! Well, it was my uncle who redid the outside of the house 30 years ago, and he didn't like it when it was done. He was following a trend, only to have wished he did something different. He never had enough money to have something else done to it, which is why the plants and ivy were growing all over it. I agree with taking it slow. I get the "do it yesterday" attitude from my mom, but really, I don't mind taking time now. I love your idea of the plantings, and i am going to do that, along with remembering, taking time, and especially feel happy!

• everdebz
    7 år siden

WOWWW. You must've had jaw - drop.

I'm liking the charm of the scalloped white!

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Me too! I love scallops! Yes, I was just staring at it for like 5 minutes all amazed! It's such a big difference all ready.

• nmp19
    7 år siden
    The scalloped trim looks a lot like the trim in your original black and white photo.
    Your aunt and sister seem to be taking very good care of you as well as the house. It is a certainty that you will be making plenty of wonderful new memories in your new home. Keep up the positive attitude and your flowers will bloom forever.
    Willie Pelissier thanked nmp19
  • beingsimone
    7 år siden

Oh - I got tears in my eyes for you! The house already looks so much better. I am so happy that you are feeling supported and loved. Please put up more pics with whatever changes you also make :)

Willie Pelissier thanked beingsimone
  • User
    7 år siden
    Wow, Willie! I'm so happy for you - I love the white scallops. And, yes, it does look very similar to the original.

As far as blue, and it not being your fave, I wouldn't worry too much. You've got some great ideas here for landscaping to make it your own. Also - the new white really detracts from the overall blue-ness. With that and new landscaping it'll seem fresh.

By the way - I've bought two homes where I hated the exterior, but the interior and neighborhood were perfect. Frankly, I forgot about how much I hated the outside because I was so happy inside.

And a clean, polished look (which you're very close to right now), as well as the loving history of this home, will go a long way to mitigating your feelings on that blue.

Best wishes, friend!
  • Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you all, for your wonderful uplifting comments and support! Well....I was there today, and almost ALL of the bushes and landscaping is gone....I don't know why. i am afraid to ask,because I don't want to seem like I don't appreciate what is being done, but it looks so barren to me. I am waiting to see. Maybe they are putting new things in? If not- I am looking for super colorful evergreen anything. Even if I am not able to afford it now, what can I get in the future? I like evergreen, because I like Winter to be alive. I may as well get what I like. I don't want anything that loses leave or color. I was all ready looking at burning bush for red, but it just look like red sticks in the Winter. I am thinking Mediterranean Pink Heather to get the pink, Holly for the red, because of the berries, Witch Hazel because it has red, too. I want pink, red, orange, yellow, blue, and purple - all year, and yes, we do get extremely cold winters here. I didn't list green, because green is in everything anyway. I want colorful bushes and shrubbery that grows at least 8 feet high - to make the front yard feel more enclosed and private. Like I said, I probably won't buy anything until next year, or the year after. I am prioritizing, but I want great ideas to think about :-)

• terry toon
    7 år siden
    Save save save for a landscape architect. Do it right the first time. Tell her/him exactly what you want and you can install in stages as your budget allows.
    Willie Pelissier thanked terry toon
  • km kane
    7 år siden
    I actually like blue. I hate bland beige brick, I hate houses with no overhangs (though there is nothing you can do about that), I hate cheap wrought iron railings, I hate ugly shrubs covering windows. Those are the things I would change and I think would add charm to the house.

But if you hate blue, then paint it. Otherwise, change up some other things. Landscaping, porch railings, a new light near the entry nice street numbers, paint the door, trim the shrubs, plant some things along the pathways, etc. Very pretty house though!
    Willie Pelissier thanked km kane
  • baileysr
    7 år siden
    Willie, if you have preferences about landscaping, and they've just ripped everything out, now is the time to open the conversation with them. I think you can do it in a way that can still be appreciative, something like "It looks like you're planning to redo the landscaping. I'd love to help plan it with you, and would be willing to help install it. What do you think about x, y, and z...?" As for plants that are colorful in winter, that's going to be hard. Red twig dogwood is "just sticks", but they are bright red ones so they can be interesting. Boxwood and rhododendron stay green. Grasses get brown but have a beautiful shape in the winter, with their fluffy plumes that catch the snow. Blue fescue has a blueish tint to it and stays that way deep into winter. Maybe you would like some early spring flowers that will bloom even when it's still cold, like snowdrops or crocus.
  • baileysr
    7 år siden
    Another idea is Christmas fern. They aren't true evergreens, but they stay green all winter, and the old one dies back in the spring as the new one is growing up. So there's always green on them.
  • everdebz
    7 år siden

Willie, life's full of surprises... might think I'm crazy, but somehow what if you had a medium blue fence on part of front yard, as an accent? White yes but adds no color -- unless in front of it you plant manageable meadow-prairie look. I'm sure there are photos showing this kind of yard..... you haven't posted more photos. But no worry.

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

terry toon - I like that attitude - so it right the first time :-) kmkane - I don't like beige either, or those wrought iron railings! I do like shrubs over windows, because I rather see nature, especially the street I am on - there are no nice views, but I want to cover the windows anyway somehow for privacy- but that's in another post I put up. I am not able to paint over the blue, because I was asked not to by my aunt (she grew up in this house, and her husband was a roofer/sider- and they don't believe in painting siding). I will most likely have fun with the house numbers and stuff! baileysr Well, that's a conversation I will have to wait for. I am taking your suggestion on what to say. Thank you for the planting information. I google so many things, but what you said is what I was inquiring about. everdebz I don't know where a fence can go, because there are hedges in the front. A meadow prairie does sound awesome. I was there today, and I took pictures from this after noon, and here they are-

I have never seen it look so bare. There were ALWAYS bushes and flowers. I never knew there was a fence there. There is too much showing. I definitely DO NOT want to see the neighbor's house, even though no one lives there yet. I really HOPE they are planning to plant new plants. I was fine with the front yard the way it was. here has to be a reason the plants were taken out, and probably I will find out some day.

I am more concerned about the back yard, to be honest. I don't know if I post pictures here if it will confuse things. You can see every neighbor's yard, and you can clearly see the electric company on the other side. If I am going to buy anything, it will be for the back first so I can at least feel comfortable out there.

Well, in case I can post the back- here is the electric company (and not the PBS show)

See 2 yards on the other side-

I am just nervous, because I was promised privacy. The yard USED TO have big bushes and trees where these things were not seen.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Thanks for posting more. So the 'curb hedge' - does that prevent walking through to the sidewalk? I see dirt in the corner, a possible spot ready for daylilies or something... :)

• everdebz
    7 år siden

They say poplars are fast-growing. Not so long-lasting /strong. Good for boundaries.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Near the back property line -- build a gazebo or structure and have a solar shade /curtains to pull down to hide some of the view..... surround with cheap [nothing's cheap but...] pebbles or mulch and more -- I do like red- or yellow-twigged dogwoods among trees. Natural looking and winter snow shows their twigs... I mean twiggy....

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

everdebz - Yes, the hedge has an opening to the sidewalk. Daylilies sound pretty :-) I like the idea of a structure- it's funny I was thinking I'm going to need more of a circus tent to block everything out at this point. There used to be dogwood trees back there. It was so pretty and private. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some awful trend going on about chopping trees and bushes down. A gorgeous house by me was sold, and it had, HAD all these beautiful trees and bushes around it, where it looked secret, well it's gone. I feel bad for the neighbors that have a new open field next to their yard. Now thinking of the new yard I will have, it's so bare , too. You now what, I truly believe dreams come true, and all we have to do is pant a seed, and in this case, many seeds :-) I am such a nature lover.

• partim
    7 år siden

It takes a long time for plants to grow big enough for privacy. Since you're renting and aren't the owner, consider whether a different place may be better for you.

• Shira Reeves
    7 år siden
    willie--i didnt read all the posts but i saw what you wrote about wanting to take your parents' room with you. forgive me if this has already been said. what about taking some photos of their room and hanging them together in a place you will see a lot. montage homage type deal. maybe near wherever the dining area ends up being? if you can take any bits of bigger things, since you are downsizing, and repurpose them, sort of like quilters do, you know? could be fabric, pillow, whatever. hope this sorta makes sense.
  • Amyzing
    7 år siden

Willie, you're a good soul. Keep sharing.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 år siden

Just referring to your post, Willie.

I like this combo for the house.

B.M.white water for the body of the house and B.M. black bean soup for the front door.

• Willie Pelissier
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

A LOT has happened since August 10, and now it is October 10. First I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, interest, and kindness. My aunt died on August 31, and it's been quite emotional. She was the last original who lived in this house. My sister was left with the many responsibilities that had to be done. It turns out I won't be able to live in this house. I have made peace with it. This is the reason I haven't posted anything. I know something better is coming along. I don't know what it is, but that is the way I think. Right now, until I know what will be happening, I am going to enjoy where I am and make the most of it :-)

• raineycarole
    7 år siden
    My condolences to you. And I'm wishing you a happy future, Willie.
  • abbyjean
    7 år siden

Love your attitude. Sorry for your loss and the change of plans, but you sound like you have a handle on life and that is huge. Best wishes!!!

• partim
    7 år siden

I am sorry for your loss. Maybe it is for the best that you won't be living in that house, because you had so many worries about it, especially about privacy and noise which would have been very difficult to overcome. I hope you find something more suitable for you.

• oliviag55
    7 år siden

I am sorry for your loss, Willie.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.