alexap

Please, please help

alexap
9 år siden
Which of the following backsplash options do you think looks best with this granite? The cabinets are white and all the appliances are stainless steel.

(73) kommentarer

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    9 år siden
    Brown glass.
  • gduplessis
    9 år siden

Hang in there. I think it depends on what look you are going for. We chose a backsplash (small glass) that once it was in, I hated it. Fortunately they had only completed part of the work. If you are like me and don't like busy, go for plain subway in a warm gray or taupe color. The smaller the tile, the busier it will look. I don't know what under cabinet lighting you are getting, but that is also a consideration. The kitchen guys installed this led strip lighting that has a fluorescent-like glare to it. Glass tile just made it look worse. Of those choices, the first and third look good. But again, consider the undercabinet lighting.

• User
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden

I still think I like the first and second choices best...the gray glass subway will add nice contrast to your cabinets, create a clean look, and will look great with your wood floors. The second will provide texture and lots of interest...not sure how it will look with white cabinets, though. I also like the last picture you posted but those tiles feels more modern than the others-if that's what you love, the colors are great. I would still love to see a picture of your kitchen from a distance....Other things to consider:

Are you trying to create a modern, clean kitchen? Is the rest of your home feel modern, as well?

This is such a hard decision...Hopefully you can wait until everything else is finished in the kitchen before you have to make this decision. Good luck!

• Ann
    9 år siden

From one of your comments, it sounds like you're worried about the way the counter looks with the cabinets. I'm wondering if you are reluctant to take a pic from further out (including the cabinets) for this reason. But, it's not uncommon to doubt our choices and often not love what we did choose. We'll be better able to help you with a backsplash choice if we can see more of what is there right now - better able to help you find the best backsplash to tie the counter and cabinets together.

• Ann
    9 år siden

Houzzers are wonderful at helping those with an "oops" feeling so if that is a feeling you're having, we'll do all we can to help get it to the point where you love the end result.

• alexap
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you Ann for your kind words. I took a few pics from different angles, I hope this helps. Please note that the range hood and part of the crown molding has yet to be installed pending backsplash installation. Let me know if I need to take better pictures.
  • klsbernard
    9 år siden

I think number three is the only match. The grey does not match.

• Ann
    9 år siden

Oh, thank you! That's a huge help and it's a beautiful kitchen, one that I think you'll definitely love when it's done. OK, so first off I think the both granites look very nice with the cabinets, so no problem there. The floors will be wood, so no competition from them. Now, knowing how it all looks and that there is a dark island counter in the mix, Houzzers can figure this out. I want to look again at all the choices thus far, do some Houzz searches and ponder this situation. Back soon.

• Ann
    9 år siden

Of the choices so far, I definitely like the third one (tan solid) in the original group. I also don't think the grays will work. Looks like some gray tile is already up but I'm guessing you stopped progress when you questioned how it looked and you're willing to just have that taken out? What is the name of your perimeter granite? I'd like to do a Houzz search to see what backsplashes have been chosen with that granite.

• elfin2265
    9 år siden
    With the black island why don't you look into white subway tile with some black accent. Either a trim piece or some decorative accent spaced throughout. Go lighter/white with the backslash.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 år siden
    The big view makes me feel like you should try to match the undertone of the granite, creamy colors?

Here's one that might work.

http://www.tileshop.com/product/queen+beige+polished+amalfi+12+x+12+in.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=1
  • Ann
    9 år siden

I completely agree with Carol. The big view makes me feel like you should match the perimeter granite undertone too.

• alexap
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    The name of the perimeter granite is white tulum. I am so very grateful for all of your help. I certainly have a new appreciation and respect for interior designers. Omg I don't know how you all do it so beautifully
  • leelee
    9 år siden

While there are flicks of color in the granite the main color that stands out is white. If you try to pull out another color it doesn't work because the colors are just too tiny. Go with white.

• leelee
    9 år siden

Another option would be to paint the walls a very pale blue or green and match the backsplash to the wall paint.

• User
    9 år siden

I'm glad you posted a picture of the kitchen from a distance because now we can see that you are working with 2 different granites....a little more tricky. Definitely do not like the grey backsplash now. Think you need to choose a white or creamed colored tile to pull from the underlying color in the granite around the perimeter of the kitchen.

• printesa
    9 år siden

Seeing the bigger picture of the room, I take my gray option back:) I think a cream color would work best. It's difficult to see the real color of the granite and tile on a computer screen, but if the cream/tan version you have matches the granite, then you can go ahead with that. You can see the colors best

• Ann
    9 år siden

Alexap, I am most definitely not an interior designer. I'm just someone who loves Houzz and thinking about/looking at well done homes. So, my comments should be taken with a grain of salt compared to the pros helping you.

To me, the color of the granite from a distance reads as beige with very slight olive undertones. Also, to me, the glass subway tile you have in the third pic of the original group looks really good with it. How do you feel about that one in person? How about when the lights are on at night? You do have to be careful when pairing beige colors as sometimes one can end up looking yellow and one pink if the colors are off. But, from what I can see in all the pics, that glass tile is looking quite nice and quite compatible with the counter.

Will your cabinet hardware be like the one knob that is installed near the stove?

• Ann
    9 år siden

I like the tan one you have because it has a bit more contrast with the white cabinets than a light cream tile would have. I'm worried a light cream might make the cabinets look too white and I worry a white tile might make the counter look too cream. I'm thinking the tan you have might tie everything together quite nicely.

• houssaon
    9 år siden

I agree with Ann thoughts. My first choice is the tan, as well, because it compliments the granite and let's it be the star. If you had a plain Caesarstone countertop, I could see going with a flashier backsplash.

• alexap
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Yes, here is a pic of the hardware I purchased. The knobs for the doors and the pulls for all the drawers. I took another pic of the tan glass tile directly next to granite and I think they blend rather nicely.
  • printesa
    9 år siden

This combination looks really nice!

• User
    9 år siden
    I like the tan one and now seeing the bigger picture definitely think you are on the right track. If you want to bring depth of colour in on the opposite side of the kitchen to the black granite then do it with accessories. The tan will give you the best opportunity to add coloured accessories if you wish too.
  • Chelle C
    9 år siden
    I vote for the grey subway tile.
  • Ann
    9 år siden

The tan looks very nice. Is it also good in artificial light in the evening?

• Ann
    9 år siden

Oh, and your cabinet hardware is nice too. Are you starting to realize how nice it will all come together? I hope so.

• User
    9 år siden
    I feel if you go with the Grey tile you are introducing yet another colour. You don't want to many colours going on in this space. What do you want to stand out? For me personally it would be the awesome black granite island. The splash back should blend into the background when there is such a strong feature like your island. Last thing you want is a hotch spotch of colours.
  • sandradclark
    9 år siden

Please do not go with glass tile. I think a creamy white porcelain subway in a matte finish will be the best, however you do need to try to match the color to your multi color granite. Set the tile in a running bond as tight as possible with a beige grout that is darker in color than the tile color. LED lighting under counters perhaps installed prior to the tile so you can get a better visual before installing. The glass or the shiny will be more noticeable than you will want I think. The matte will also go very well with the gorgeous flooring you have picked.

• User
    9 år siden
    I like the idea of a matte finish too, great suggestion
  • alexap
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you, thank you I am starting to really feel much better. Yesterday I was feeling extremely overwhelmed and was even considering changing the perimeter granite which I know would cause an issue with my husband. I could feel in my gut that there was something off about the gray tile in this space. I now know that I need to use a tan/cream color that blends in with the granite because at the and of the day, the intended star of the kitchen is the island which is why I used a different granite and edge profile for it.
    Yes, I would prefer to use ceramic instead of glass but I am having a hard time finding anything nice at my local stores. Perhaps I should move my search online. Any recommendations for online tile retailers?
  • tennisanyone
    9 år siden

I agree with sandradclark. A creamy white porcelain subway matte finish tile.

• tennisanyone
    9 år siden

Looking again, perhaps something with a bit of black or a black strip so the two different granites feel connected in some way otherwise the rest of the kitchen will look like it is floating and the island will look too heavy. They need to feel like it was thought out and not have four different finishes. You will only do this once, so don't rush because you will live with it for a long time.

• User
    9 år siden
    Sorry I live in New Zealand so not much help with this one....will leave suggestions to the others
  • sandradclark
    9 år siden

Get on google & enter 'tile, the name of town or city, state' you live in

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 år siden

Used the same granite last year in a project. Considered two different materials. One was a glass tile in a color called fog and it is about the same color as what you are calling tan above. Possibly just a bit more toward a gray/tan. Attached is what the client ultimately selected which is a Jeffrey Court marble but in a warmer tone than a Carrera. It is a 4x8 subway. In this case the bar countertop is a black galaxy granite.

• Ann
    9 år siden

I have a similar situation (light perimeter and dark island countertop) and I like the look of the dark island counter. I don't think you need black in your backsplash to tie it together. I love the idea of a plain backsplash in a tan color, glass or matte. I'm sorry you were feeling so stressed yesterday - I kind of sensed it in a few of your comments. I took a huge sigh of relief when I saw the pics from further out and realized it will be a beautiful kitchen. I think your worries were unfounded and gosh I'm glad you reached out to the Houzz gang rather than considering replacing granite!!!!!

Oh, and in my kitchen, my backsplash is just a calm, plain tile that nearly matches the light perimeter counter. I actually added my dark island counter fairly recently, wondered if I'd have to change the perimeter, but left it as I like the look. My kitchen differs from yours in that I have wood cabinets rather than white, but same idea with contrasting counters.

• sandyshopper
    9 år siden
    I used gray subway tile with a different counter top color. Love it. Painted my cabinets gray and added stainless steel appliances. I like your first choice . I am sure there is gray in your granite or you would not have gone in that direction. I, too, have combined the neutrals of gray, beige, cream and white. Don't be discouraged! You are going in the right direction!
  • Ann
    9 år siden

Deborah, that's beautiful and what a great example for alexap! Do you think the glass "tan" tile would work pretty well? I'm guessing you'll say yes since you had a similar choice under consideration for the project.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 år siden

the second one. it will have some depth, not blend too much but not be plain gray.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 år siden

Thank you Ann. I do think it will work. I guess that a Google search for fog glass tile would being up the other one we considered. I can't remember the manufacturer name. A great barely off white subway is the Adex Neri in bone. Even though it is called bone it is not bone colored at all. It is a warm white and we have used it with Bianco Romano granite and white cabinets and it looked fine. It is a 3x6 subway.

• tennisanyone
    9 år siden

I am not seeing your kitchen the way everyone else is so I will wait to see what you do. Big decisions.

• lindler
    9 år siden
    The backsplash was the hardest part of our renovation. I had several different routes to try but most didn't work. I had a moment of questioning our granite choice during this time.
    Ultimately, we found our backsplash and all is well. You will get there, also.

The tan (#3) looks like a good match to your granite. Your kitchen looks beautiful and once you are finished this angst will be a vague memory.
  • Vicki Kennedy
    9 år siden

Ooooh - can I say none of them. Sorry. The subway style would be my pick but not in the gray. Match something in the granite but if you pick a predomintely white make sure the value of the color matches the white in your cabinets.

• Janie Burton
    9 år siden
    Think about using a darker gray matte finish subway tile. The shiny glass just doesn't enhance your attractive granite.
  • craljh
    9 år siden

I have seen several folks posting about a delimma lately and they are sad and near tears. I don't know if you are living in your home while the remodel is going on, but if you are in the house the unsettled unhappy feeling could be a result of all the chemical smells (which won't linger forever) of the glue and out gassing of the new cabinets and formaldehydes. I think your kitchen is beautiful and I like no 3.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år siden

Once suffered a great bit of depression due to the carpet cleaning products used in an apartment I rented. Several tenants and I got a full refund and moved out! Craljh is right - chemicals may be the issue. Air out the house at every opportunity. Notice if you are affected more in one room than another. You spend a lot of time in the bedroom - open the windows. You can buy little double fans that can slip in the open window and help suck out the contaminated air

H Dual-blade Window Fan · Mere information

• Cath
    9 år siden

Grey might get depressing - its my 2nd choice - #3 tan subway is my 1st choice - I also like the whites that others have posted. the others are too busy

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 år siden

Option 1 is a winner!

I have a few blog posts that may help you out.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• clare
    9 år siden
    I have same granite and can choose first subway tile but use a light grout to mesh it all together
  • sandyshopper
    9 år siden
    Someone mentioned " small spaces." Here is a pic of my relatively small kitchen remodel space. Size is approximately 101/2x101/2. We extended bar width by about 3-4 inches and added counter depth refrigerator giving more space to access kitchen area. Hope this answers someone's query.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.